Tonight I found something out that really bothered me. I was bothered that it bothered me. It was really dumb and it wasn't even an attack on me. I've been thinking about it for the past couple hours.
(One of my best friends from home went and saw the musical,"Book of Mormon" and wrote a status about it saying how great and funny it was.)
Okay so now that you know what bothered me let's continue. At first I was completely angry. Why on Earth would she go see a musical that mocked everything I believe in?! I even considered not talking to her again. (of course that was rash and left my head as soon as it appeared) Then I started asking people what they thought and what I should do. Most of the people either told me I was being stupid and making a HUGE deal out of it, or they said that I was justified in my feelings. It honestly did not make me feel any better. I finally sat down to just think about why it was getting me so upset and that's when I figured it out.
For those of you who don't know what the play is about, it's mocking The Book of Mormon and more importantly it's mocking missionaries. BIG TIME. (I admit I wanted to see what it was about exactly for myself so I looked some of the songs up on youtube. I was disgusted by what I heard.) I was even more disgusted that someone could be so harsh and awful with someone's faith. It was a blow I wasn't expecting. Finding out that my friend had purposefully gone and seen it upset me a whole lot more after fully understand what the musical was about.
I told my friend I was planning on serving a mission, and here she is going to see a musical that mocks everything I believe in. More importantly my life for the next year and a half. (when I leave of course). This is why it upset me so much: I honestly believe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the truest of all truths. I know that The Book of Mormon is a book written by prophets of God to help us through these days, and I know that missionary work is one of the most important things I could be doing right now. Jesus Christ is my savior and He did everything for me. He loves me infinitely, and He cares about me more than I could ever know. I AM GOING TO BE A MISSIONARY. that is what I am going to do with the next stage of my life. I want to share this amazing wonderful gospel with the whole entire world!
It bothered me because I have a strong testimony. A testimony that can stand others trying to beat it down. It bothered me because I am doing what is right when so many others choose to do what is wrong.
I'm still not sure if I should tell my friend that I was hurt upon finding out she went and saw the musical. But what I do know is that nothing anyone says or does will EVER make me waiver from what I know to be right.
No comments:
Post a Comment